A Lactation Home Consult is a full breastfeeding “checkup” with one of our Board Certified Lactation Consultants. The consultant will come to your home and spend 1 ½ to 2 hours focused on helping you and your baby. The purpose of a home consult is to identify any feeding challenges and develop a written Feeding and Support Plan based on your personal goals.
Listening and Problem Solving
We want to help you meet your goals in a way that fits for you and your family. So we’ll spend time during the consult listening to you and discussing your goals and values.
We’ll also conduct a complete breastfeeding assessment with the purpose of identifying and addressing any challenges.
- Health history of mom and baby
- Observation of feeding, latch and positioning
- Weight checks before and after feeding
- Assessment of baby’s intake and output
- Assessment of baby’s mouth and tongue
- Observation of pumping, if applicable
Based on your goals and the feeding assessment, together we’ll develop a written Feeding and Support Plan just for you. A written report of the assessment and plan will also be sent to your pediatrician.
Learning and Practice
So that you feel comfortable feeding your baby after the consult, time is included for…
- The consultant to teach you any suggested tips or techniques
- You to practice with the consultant there to help
- All of your questions
Support and Follow Up
As you work through your Feeding and Support Plan, we can refer you to many support options which may include further follow up with the consultant at home or in office, follow up over the phone, or referral to new mom’s groups or other sources of community support.
A Lactation Home Consult does not replace a Well Baby Check with a pediatrician. You should plan to schedule those visits in addition to your home consult. If at the time of your consult, the Lactation Consultant feels that you need further follow up with a doctor, she will help you to schedule an appointment as quickly as possible.
Before a Consult
- Feed the baby about 1 ½ to 2 hours before so that your baby is ready to eat during the consult but not hungry and upset from waiting.
- Make of list of questions you want to ask.
- Take care of any pets in a separate space. Sometimes pets feel protective of mom and baby.
- DON’T dress up.
- DON’T clean your house.
- RELAX…we’re here to help.
Because home consults are performed outside of the office setting, we are not able to file your insurance for you and payment will be due prior to the visit. However, many insurance plans will reimburse you for the cost after the consult. At the time of the consult, we will provide you with the paperwork needed for you to file for reimbursement.